Manoa Color Seal

University of Hawai'i at Mānoa
College of Natural Sciences


Manoa Color Seal

University of Hawai'i at Mānoa - College of Natural Sciences


Are you a current Natural Science Major?

Schedule with STAR Balance
Excluding appointments with Mathematics and Physics Major advisors

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

  • How many courses should we be registering for?

    It depends! A full-time student is enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours at UH . Depending on your major and academic plan you may be taking more or less courses. It’s always best to check in with your advisor for further information.

  • I’m waitlisted for a class in the upcoming semester, what can I do?

    When you are waitlisted for a course you are essentially waiting to register for a class. This does not mean you will automatically get a seat! We recommend that you find an alternative to the course you are waitlisted just in case you don’t get into that class. If you need help discussing your options, you can always schedule an appointment with your advisor.

  • I keep getting a prerequisite error when trying to register for Biology, Math and/or Chemistry. What’s going on?
    • Have you taken your chemistry or math placement exam? If not, you will need to do so before registering for the appropriate chemistry and math!

    • I took my placement exam already! Now what? For most students starting in a life science major (Biology, Marine Biology, Microbiology, Botany, and Molecular Cell Biology) you will be registering for a chemistry course (CHEM 131, CHEM 161, or CHEM 171) with an introductory biology course (BIOL 171 or BIOL 172) with the laboratory associated with that biology course (BIOL 171L or BIOL 172L). You will need to add all three courses together because they are prerequisites! Please make sure that if you are registering for BIOL 171 that you also select a BIOL 171L!

  • How do I change my major to one that is in a different college? (Not a College of Natural Science major)

    If you wish to change you major to one that is in another college, you will need to contact that college's advising office. We suggest that you make an appointment with one of their advisors first to make sure you would like to switch to that major. They will be able to provide you with a Major Dec form with the criteria needed in order to switch your major.

    You can find the list of college advising offices here:

  • I am trying to graduate early and want to take more than 19 credits, how can I do that?

    In order to take more than 19 credits, you will need to fill out a Credit Overload form. Along with the Credit Overload form you will need to meet certain criteria in order to get it approved. You need to have a 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point average (GPA) along with a recently completed semester with 18 or more credits in which you did not receive any "Incomplete" grade(s), and earned a 3.0 or higher semester GPA.


We provide academic advising services to all undergraduate students in the College of Natural Sciences at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa.

Hours of Operation
Sinclair Library 301
Monday - Friday
Online appointments only!