Action Memo Justification Summary Items to Consider:
The impact to the department for inability to hire new faculty:
- Loss due to non-hire = loss of new grant monies
- How would this grant money support the department and or the University
- Discuss the shortage in staff if applicable and how it is detrimental:
- To the department
- To students
- Are there other faculty that would be able to teach the courses
The impact that it will have on student:
- Class is not offered every semester
- Class is necessary to graduate students
- Will students not be able to graduate on time if course is not offered; how many will not be able to graduate on time?
- How many students are enrolled in the course?
- Are their any other courses that can be taken in lieu of the course?
The impact that it will have on research and experiments:
- Decreased amount of quality published works
- Inability to obtain extramural funding
- Labs cannot be run
- Decreased focus on students in teaching
The impact of non-hire or extension of Casual and Student Hires:
- Are there any other employees (BU 03 & 08) already employed who could not do the work and sustain operational needs?
- How many current students you many have and how many you need to function.
Do’s: Attach spreadsheet of statistical data showing the impact of issues listed above if applicable.
Don’ts: Try not to use acronyms; OVCAA are not faculty hires so they are not familiar with terminology.